Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Eating Live Fish

It was enough to turn this meat a saurus into a vegan immediately. Now I am not squeamish and I feel that I am a responsible meat eater – that is to say – I grew up on a farm and know how to slaughter an animal and prepare it for eating.

I saw a cooking show on TV tonight that made my stomach turn and I still feel sick about it. Unsurprisingly You Tube is full of home videos of (mostly) American tourists in China filming this dish. To explain – take one very live fish and serve it to diners in under two mins. The fish must still be alive and wriggling, its mouth opening and gills fanning whilst it is at the table and being torn apart.

The fish is held and scaled, then cut in several places. It is then quickly deep fried in a vat of oil – the head held out of the oil. The fish is then placed on a plate – flapping in agony and covered with a sauce and taken to the diners – who then strip its skin off and eat the flesh – a prize is the still thumping heart. Are you sick yet? Here is one of the ‘better’ videos on you tube – but search there yourself.

I know fish don’t have much of a brain – but nothing deserves this treatment. Its horrific in the most evil ways. Am I being prissy about this?



2 comments:

Jodi Cleghorn said...

I have to admit to being too repulsed by your description to be able to stomach watching the YouTube clip.

It makes me muse on the saying 'you are what you eat?' What does it say about these people who partake in such barbaric culinary pleasures?

badguitarist said...

dude u're not being prissy...my frnd has sent me a similar video n i juz finishd watching it...i felt so disturbed n startd googling on dis whole live fish eating stuff whn i stumbled into ur blog...da ghastly video i've seen had a similar dish wid a live snake too...i eat meat too but dis is juz barbaric...