Thursday, July 31, 2008

The pursuit of perfection

If you’ve not seen this transformation, then I suggest check this out ( its on utube) and forward it to everyone !


This brought up a lot of “stuff’ for me. Firstly I thought wow – isn’t it amazing what photoshop can do, the second how many hits this has gotten ( nearly 5 thousand) and the lack of comments made – only 3!!!. In particular the comment on how much better she looked after the ‘work’. Begs the question – she is a beautiful girl to start with... watch it – it is amazing.... - appreciate it for the talent this person has with photoshop and then get angry at society for demanding perfection.


How much of the photos and images we are being fed by the media have been doctored this much? I’d have to hazard a guess that most if not all of them are. How pitiful a society do we live in that we hold such perfection up as our model. What is the fascination of perfection and why are we all beating each other up when none of us are?


The next issue for me was thinking about the lass who modeled for it. I wonder how she is feeling seeing the transformation. Wondering if she could actually ever look like this. As a larger than life person myself, I often wonder what I would look like .. you know.. thinner. I have never been a small person having been ridiculed and teased all of my life for being different, bigger, fat, ugly etc.. Still, my character has grown and strengthened ( good old character building) and one wonders if thinner people get that sort of opportunity. My thoughts probably are that everyone is insecure – thinking the rest of the world is adjusted and fine. Women especially are constantly striving to be perfect – to be thinner, to be tanner, blonder, have longer hair, smoother skin.. whatever.


I went past a cosmetics stand the other day and the sales person caught me at a weak moment and began to ask me what I wanted to change about my skin – as if I believed I had problems. I actually have smooth supple skin and can get away with hanging with younger gals as I don’t look my age. I love the skin I am in! Sure, I’d love to be less ample. But the fantasy of what being thin has dominated my life for nearly 25 years and I have come to terms that its just not going to happen. I have starved myself , taken drugs ( both prescriptive and non) , lived on alcohol, self hatred and denial.


I used to believe that if I changed that simple little thing like my weight that I would suddenly have a golden key into a society of freedom, of acceptance and I would suddenly be a new person – some sort of Bond girl. I know too that being fat is a great excuse for NOT doing anything exciting. It’s a great excuse to just say why bother – I am never going to be skinny – so I can’t ( insert the next bit…. Get that Job, have a boyfriend, go on that exciting trip, have friends… etc etc..)


Until one day I realized that being bigger shouldn’t stop you from doing all the things you have said you were going to do when you ‘get thin’ – you know – wearing a pair of togs, ask that guy out, buy a beautiful dress, join a dance class, having a great relationship, being seen as sexy – no matter what your dress size… you can do them right now, the only person stopping you is YOU. And as it has been said many times before , life isn’t a rehearsal – you get one shot at it ( well this time in this body) and its passing us all by. We have either got to get on that racing car and drive it – or get in the boot and let someonelse take control.. Me – I hate being a passenger – much less being shoved into the boot ( or trunk) and left there to rot….


So move over, my little purple sports car and I are doing some laps.. wanna join me?

No comments: